Are you a lover of athletics and or do you like to exercise running? If the answer is yes and you want to discover an innovative and healthier way to run, don’t miss the following article.
Natural running is a very effective solution for those who practice high-impact sports and suffer from joint pain. It is a training method that allows you to strengthen muscles, tendons and ligaments of the legs, making the impact of the body have less impact. Discover, from this article, natural running: what it is and what it consists of to become a much healthier and more prepared athlete.
What is natural running
The main characteristic that you should know if you wonder what natural running is, is that it is a form of running that consists of wearing light footwear to simulate the feeling of going barefoot. Keep in mind that this does not really mean running barefoot, but that the practice of natural running involves the use of special shoes to achieve a natural footprint.
This type of footwear necessary for the practice of natural running has a very soft and light sole to simulate, as we have said, the idea of running barefoot.
The essence of this sport is not too far from the traditional and beneficial running; only the type of shoe that is used changes and, consequently, the way of treading, because without additional protection and without the shock absorbers of many shoes, the body returns to natural postures as if it were running with bare feet.
What is natural running: important concepts
The natural running concept refers to the type of support that our feet should make when running. This idea of running barefoot has several concepts that should be highlighted to better understand its practice:
- The word “barefoot”, which in its translation into Spanish means “barefoot”, refers to the special shoe that is needed for this practice and its way of influencing the support of the skin.
- On the other hand, within the theory of natural running, it is common to hear also speak of “forefoot”, a term used to refer to the type of appropriate footprint, one that is performed with the inside of the heel(forefoot) and allows the weight falls directly on the metatarsals.
- Other terms that are part of the natural running theory are efficiency and effectiveness, two words that are used to describe the best possible stride, one that requires the least effort on the leg muscles.
- Another factor that is added to natural running is the so-called “drop”. This concept expresses the height between the forefoot and the heel, so that the smaller the drop, the better it will run and the more natural the footprint(keep in mind that the natural footprint is one of the main objectives of this practice).
What is natural running?
As we have seen, the concept of natural running is not used to describe the idea of running literally barefoot, however, those who bet on running in the sand or on a soft surface, can do so with their feet totally bare. Natural running, as we have seen, consists of running on asphalt or other hard surfaces with very light shoes with a soft sole to maximize natural movement when moving.
Basically, natural running consists of carrying out any activity related to athletics using shoes with a special design(running, trekking, etc.). The intention is to stride with the ball of the foot, using the balls of the feet to keep the heels from being overloaded. With this natural footprint, the body is naturally aligned and avoid overloading the lumbar areas and other muscles.
Natural running has become, in recent years, a global trend that many defend over the classic running with shock-absorbing shoes. This is because the biomechanics of the human body is perfectly adapted to the practice of natural running; In other words, the movement with the metatarsals as the main support to support the weight and propel the stride, helps to free the joints and the spine from impact. Of course, just like any other sport, you need to stretch after running to minimize the risk of injury.
Minimalist running shoes
Natural running shoes, also called minimalist running shoes, have the ultimate goal of preserving the natural standards of human anatomy when walking, jogging or running.
However, there is something important to keep in mind, and it is that although it is true that this type of footwear helps considerably to improve body posture and prevent joint injuries, it also leaves the feet less protected.
By detailing the structure of minimalist running shoes, we can observe unique characteristics:
- For starters, the cushioning is pretty much the same in both the back and the front of the foot.
- It can be seen, with the naked eye, that we are talking about very light shoes, since they do not weigh more than 200 grams and are considerably thin.
- Due precisely to their anatomy, natural running shoes are easy to bend and can even become twisted.
There are several brands that are establishing themselves in the brand of natural running shoes, some of them being Newton, Fuel man, New Balance and the innovative and peculiar Five-fingers. Each and every one of these brands design minimalist shoes that seek to give the greatest sensation of running barefoot. The goal is to make your legs stronger, avoid knee and hip injuries, and improve your body posture thanks to the famous natural footprint.